Consider the following statements about the Indian Council Act, 1909:
- The Act increased the membership of Central and the State legislatures
- For the first time seats in the legislative assemblies were reserved on the basis of religion
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Both are correct statements Other features of Indian Council Act, 1909 are:
- The act empowered the members to discuss the budget and move resolutions before it was approved finally. They were given rights to ask supplementary questions and move resolutions to on matters related to loans to the local bodies.
- The members given right to discuss matters of the public interest however, the house was not binding on the government. Rules were also framed under the act for the discussion of matters of general public interest in the legislative councils.
- No discussion was permitted on any subject not within legislative competence of the particular legislature any matter affecting the relations of the Government of India with a foreign power or a native state, and any matter under adjudication by a court of law
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module